We’ve gained a great deal of knowledge and experience through years spent in quarries around the world. We’ve learned how to help customers produce more of what they want, with less waste and a better profit margin. Crushology is our scientific approach to getting certain results. It’s based on what we’ve learned through experience. On what can be measured and documented.
Where is your value created?
In most quarries, only 5% of activities actually add value. The remaining 95% offer the greatest potential for improving efficiency. Where are your opportunities?
What happens between point A and B? Transportation is a major improvement opportunity and its importance grows as a quarry expands. Can you shorten journeys? Improve loading capacity? Eliminate multiple transport stages?
Your output starts here! Loading the right size mix from the start helps to ensure optimal yield and reduce cost per tonne. Educating your people is an important aspect of this.
Look beyond the crusher. It’s natural for quarries to focus effort on optimizing crusher performance, but this is just one stage in the bigger overall process. Optimizing the crusher in isolation has a limited impact on total profitability.
Don’t waste effort and energy. Eliminate actions that are duplicated or not totally necessary. Minimize the number of steps between blasting and delivery of final product.
Keep it flowing. The key to value creation is knowing how all steps in the process affect each other. Output from one stage should be in harmony with the input needs of the next stage, and so on.
There are many different kinds of waste, and some are harder to identify than others. Here are our tips for eliminating five of the most common types of waste encountered in quarries.
1. Prevent defects in output
Everything that does not match customer specifications. This includes factors such as oversized vs. fines, hardness, durability and cubicity. Late delivery is another form of defect! To eliminate defects, you have to eliminate variance – in raw materials, processing methods, equipment maintenance/setup, etc.
2. Manage production levels
Yield should always be in line with demand. Overproduction happens when a process makes more than is required by the next process. And when you make it earlier or faster than needed. Excess stock is another issue – whether it relates to finished product, raw materials or spare parts.
3. Stop waiting
Even short delays mount up and sap your productivity. Typical examples include waiting for equipment and parts, upstream process operations, unplanned maintenance, or people. Planning and coordinate carefully, and regularly review the way you do things. Keep a stock of key parts to avoid unneeded downtime, and time planned maintenance to coincide with periods of lower demand.
4. Add value
Are you putting time and resources into activities that add no value to the product or service from the customer’s point of view? Typical examples include multiple screenings, excessive conveyance, overwatering roads, making tidy piles or unnecessary data collection. Have a clear overview of the entire process and how activities coordinate.
5. Streamline motion
Fuel prices make transportation increasingly expensive and therefore essential to minimize. As a quarry grows, so does the cost of transportation. Eliminate any movement of people or equipment that does not add value to the product or service. Consider solutions such as mobile primary crushers and using conveyors rather than trucks to transport material. Check your transport flow at least once a year!